Jan 202014
 

As WordPress itself is very powerful concerning permission management, it’s sometimes a little bit difficult to perform very simple tasks. Recently I wanted to display different contents for different users (or more specifically: different user roles). However this isn’t possible to do out of the box.
There are a lot of plugins for managing user groups (or here) and even build big membership systems. But this seemed like a complete overkill for what I wanted to do. So I wrote a small shortcode that could do exactly that.

The usage is simple: an enclosing shortcode named [user_role] will take the attribute of role=”role; the content between opening and closing shortcode brackets will only be shown to those users who have the appropriate role specified in the attribute.

Continue reading »

Aug 152012
 

Even though this piece of software is doing a good job, it got a little rusty and features needed to be added. Also I had to do some small fixes.

The SMS extractor is now able to output the extracted text messages into an XML formatted file. The following example will show the format that is being used:

Continue reading »

Jan 052012
 

Last year I released a script written in PHP which was able to extract text messages from the iPhone (more specifically: from the SQLite storage container) into a simple TXT file, which was documented in this blog post. The software required a PHP interpreter, which had to be cared for by the user (check the blog post for details), but was published under CC BY 3.0 so the user could make any alteration he desired or deemed necessary.
Some time later I wrote an online version of the extractor (release blog post), which offered extended functionality and above all no longer needed the user to run the interpreter him- or herself.
However, due to the lack of time I couldn’t keep the standalone version up to date with the online version and so they diverged.

Continue reading »

Jun 102011
 

A few weeks ago I created a small PHP script that could extract text messages from an iPhone SQLite storage file. It required the user to have a PHP interpreter ready in order to run the script, which might be an obstacle keeping him or her from using the script.

Because I’m currently having more fun to do some programming in PHP than to rewrite the original script in Java (most people will have a JVM and/or JRE installed), I created a new webpage that uses the original script.

Continue reading »

May 112011
 

UPDATE (10/06/2011): I started an online version of the script, see new blog post.

For a while I’ve been checking out various programs for extracting and converting text messages from the iPhone SMS storage SQLite database. For some reason they seem to be either for purchase or not doing their job well.
When I found out that all they are doing is pretty much just some simple SQL query and putting the result into various output formats, I decided to quickly write this myself, while keeping it simple and open.

Continue reading »

Sep 182009
 

After using WebCalendar for quite I while, I finally got to the bottom of the problem, why it wasn’t working as a remote calendar in Mozilla Sunbird or in the Thunderbird extension Lightning.

Following the official description how to subscribe to a remote calendar did add the calendar successfully, but showed a yellow warning sign with the caption

The calendar foobar is momentarily not available

Continue reading »

Aug 032009
 

While I was trying to allow some tool’s PHP file to perform the HTTP command PUT, the tool’s manual said to put the following code in the httpd.conf Apache configuration file:

<Directory /foo/bar>
Script PUT /some.php
</Directory>

And so I did. But when I tried to reload Apache’s configuration (/etc/init.d/apache2 reload), Apache complained with the following message:

Invalid command ‘Script’, perhaps misspelled or defined by a module not included in the server configuration
failed!

Continue reading »

Jun 292009
 

I wrote this PHP script in order to include the latest tweets from my Twitter on my website. It retrieves the RSS feed, parses it and pastes a number of tweets (along with timestamp and link) to HTML.

[[ OLD:
Before I can / want to release it under some free software license, I would appreciate it if some of you PHP nerds could review the code. I am mainly concerned about security issues rather than formatting and coding style. Since I am no pro in PHP coding, I will probably have done some things quite clumsily.

So please point out security problems as well as other major issues. (For example, if anybody knows how to stop parsing after max items were dealt which, please let me know :) ).
]]

[UPDATE 07/08/2009]
(HTTP) Links are now made clickable.
[/UPDATE]

[UPDATE 15/12/2009]
The script was released under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License today.
Download the PHP code at http://blog.haraldkraft.de/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/parsetwitter.php_.txt and feel free to reuse and tweak my script (along with mentioning my name as suggested in the license information in the code).
[/UPDATE]

Email me at blog {at} haraldkraft(.)de (or comment)

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.